Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Keys

keysThe Keys formed in London in 1979 and signed to A&M records. They recorded one album of jangly, beatlesque power pop called "The Keys Album" but it only was released in the U.K. The album was produced by Joe Jackson and contained a bunch of potential hit singles but sales didn't materialize.

The Keys were:
Drew Barfield – vocals, bass. Drew went on to the form Big Heat and oddly enough still plays in a Tex-mex band with 80's superstar Paul Young called Los Pacaminos. He also is releasing a solo
album
.
Steve Tatler – vocals, guitar.
Ben Grove – vocals, guitar. Now plays with the Retros
Geoff Britton – drums (formerly with East Of Eden and Wings)

Go to the download page to get The Keys - "I Don't Wanna Cry"


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog...you found
another good one in The
Keys....i loved this album.
They came and went in a
heartbeat. Don't know why
other than lack of
promotion.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Heh. I actually remember this band!

Great blog, btw.

AC @ bloggedy blog

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog!

The Keys album along with the 1st Romantics record, the first Josie Cotton record and the first Primitives record are LPs that I used to pick up anytime I found a used one at the record store. I'd have a few copies of each on hand to turn friends on to good pop records. Nice to see some other folks remember them!

2:38 PM  
Blogger bltkmt said...

Just found this album for download at http://powerpoplovers.blogspot.com/

Always loved it and thought it was lost forever. How about some love for the dB's "Sound of Music"? Any ideas where to find that one?

2:06 PM  
Blogger rancidstoat said...

So it's not just me who remembers these guys eh ? Saw them supporting Joe Jackson in 1981 and immediately bought the album which was fab. Should have been big but , well...

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to buy this record if anyone has one for sale! let me know. gushcon@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!!!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Ben & Steve gave me some guitar lessons shortly before they got the A&M deal. Saw the band live once or twice. Astounded that they didn't have any success. I bought the album at the time but it disappeared in one of my vinyl clear-outs. I'd like to hear it again...I remember 'Greasy Money' being a particular highlight.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home